Monday 23 December 2013

SKINNY SANTA

Very tempted just to skip blogging this week, perhaps with the excuse that I'm too busy getting ready for Christmas. Maybe also the excuse that I'm not sure anyone is reading this yet (!)
But here's a few observations of things that might come into the 'audacity' category.
It's nothing new, but I have noticed, at public carols-singing events, that quite a few songs involve what is basically prayer to Santa Claus.
'My Grown-Up Christmas List' is just one of many examples. Although I must admit this is better than the various songs that petition Santa to send a lover!
People who have no working relationship with God apparently still feel some need to pray. One rather audacious blog comment that I read this week insisted that letters to Santa are more likely to get a response than praying to God!
No, not sure I can agree with that one! Sandie and I have had too many answers to prayer this year to count. God has guided and blessed us through all sorts of challenging circumstances.
But another current observation about Santa.
I've also noticed, in TV ads and other places, that he is not always depicted as fat. Sometimes, he's actually quite skinny. Someone said that, with the current problem of children's obesity, a fat Santa is setting a very bad example!
In the USA, controversy has been raging about the fact that Santa is white. Apparently, he's not politically correct because he doesn't represent diversity and racial equality.
I wouldn't be surprised if, some Christmas, we start hearing complaints that Santa is always depicted as male.
It's a funny time of year and the dichotomy between a secular vision of Christmas (represented by the Santa myth) and a Christian vision of Christmas (that Jesus came into the world to save us sinners) seems to get wider every year.
May God bless you this Christmas with friends, family and strong faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment